Coughlin continued the championship tradition of his
family in 2011 and hopes to build upon it for 2012.
Cody, 16, won the Howie Lettow Rookie of the Year award
for the JEGS CRA All-Stars Tour and finished sixth in
the Late Model series' points standings. He'll return
to the JEGS CRA All-Stars Tour in 2012, gunning for
the series championship.
A third-generation racer following in the footsteps
of his grandfather, Jeg. Sr., and his dad, John, Cody
is making his name in stock-car racing circles instead
of the straight lines of drag racing.
He grew up watching NASCAR champions Jimmie Johnson,
Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart ply their trade and wanted
to give stock-car racing a try. His family supported
him fully, and continues to do so, with John, his mother
Di and younger sister Kennedi traveling with him to
Even at his young age, Cody is earning his stripes,
advancing through the quarter-midget ranks in USAC in
the smaller, open-wheel cars that helped launch the
careers of many Sprint Cup drivers. He moved from the
Senior Rookie Class to Heavy Honda Heavy Mod in one
Along the way, he chalked up five victories -- two in
Senior Rookie, one in Heavy Honda, and two more in Heavy
Mod -- and finished well enough in the other races to
earn the Heavy Mod championship in 2009. That title
made him the first of the third generation of Coughlins
to earn a series championship.
With the help of short-track legend and JEGS employee Gary St. Amant, Cody made the step to full-bodied stock cars in 2010, racing a 420-horsepower Late Model car at three national events. In 2011, Cody continued in a JEGS-sponsored Late Model on the JEGS CRA All-Stars Tour.
Cody had a solid first season, generating four top-five
and seven top-10 finishes in the series' 11 races.
"My racing career has been truly blessed,"
Cody said. "To have this time with my family and
to be able to chase my dream has been more than I could
have ever asked for. All praise to the Lord for allowing
us to live this wonderful life."
Now, Cody hopes to challenge for the overall series
championship in 2012. The team also will compete in
a limited number of Super Late Model races across the
Vehicle: JEGS.com Late Model Impala SS
Series: JEGS / CRA All-Stars Tour
Hometown: Delaware, Ohio
Birthplace: Delaware, Ohio
Family: John and Diana (parents) and Kennedi (sister)
2012 Car: JEGS.com Late Model, Super Late Model Impala SS
Years racing: 3
• Briefly raced in the NHRA Jr. Drag Racing League before focusing his attention on circle track racing
• Made his debut in the Quarter-Midget class in late 2008
• Claimed his first Quarter-Midget victory at the Winter Indoor Midget Series at the Ohio State Fairgrounds in March, 2009
• Made the move from the Honda 120 Quarter-Midget class to the faster Heavy Honda class midway through the 2009 season
• Won the Heavy Modified title at the JEGS Crown Super Midget Nationals at Columbus Motor Speedway in Sept. 2009
• Crowned the series champion in the Generation Next Quarter-Midget Series in October 2009
• Tested an ASA Late Model Stock car for the first time, turning competitive lap times at Columbus Motor Speedway
• Made his debut in the ASA Late Model Northern Series during the Michigan 100 at Owosso Speedway finishing all 100 laps en route to a respectable 15th place finish
• In 2011, made his debut in the Champions Racing Association (CRA) JEGS All-stars Tour presented by GM Performance Parts
• In July 2011, drove to a career-best second place finish in the Stanley Steamer 100 at Rockford Speedway
• Finished the 2011 season as the sixth ranked driver (our of 90 competitors) in the JEGS CRA All-Stars Tour after posting seven top ten finishes during the season.
• Completed 927 laps out of a possible 1,100 (84.3-percent) during inaugural Late Model season
• Received the prestigious Howie Lettow Rookie of the Year award as the highest finishing first year driver in the Champions Racing Association (CRA) JEGS All-stars Tour presented by GM Performance Parts in 2011
Cody Coughlin STATS
2011 CRA JEGS All-star Tour presented by GM Performance Parts
|Columbus Motor Speedway
|Dixie Motor Speedway
|Illiana Motor Speedway
|Lucas Oil Raceway
• Home schooled allows for ease with travels and intensified study of all academic areas
• Hobbies include skiing, tennis, golf, horseback riding and chess